my neighbor illegally hired a logger to cut 62 trees to sell from my property. what can be done about this?

Hi Brenda,

I'm so sorry to hear about this situtation on your land.  The first thing to do is to contact your department of natural resources.  Your state service foresters should be able to help you figure out the next steps. 

Cornell University has a good article about what to do to prevent and address timber theft.  While there contacts are only for those owners who live in New York state, they do have some general steps you can take.  They also recommend talking to your state department of natural resources as well as a local consulting forester.  That forester can help you identify the value of the trees that were lost.  If you don't have a consulting forester, you can find one near you using the Forestry Directory


Caroline Kuebler

Program Manager for